Tuesday, August 09, 2005

School Daze

Alright where this is all coming from I don't know but flashback with me as I’m obviously having a moment.

"Oh Public School Eighty-Five your halls will always be alive"

Those are the first few lines of my Elementary School song, I cannot remember the rest. I was so reliving my early school daze yesterday flashing back to all the silly stuff involved in going to public school in NYC or any urban jungle I had this conversation with "BP" and here is the foolishness we came up with. If you know any of this holla back and represent for your school....

At Assembly we wore black pants and white shirts

Chocolate Milk Day


Trading your Banana with the Puerto Rican kid for his Pizza at lunch


When your hands go up your mouth goes shut

Summer Lunch Program

Getting Jumped for my Triple Fat Goose

Jansport Book Bags (Weren't they the shit?)

Cross Colors & Guess Jeans

Letters that read...."If you like me check YES, NO or MAYBE

Getting one checked YES

Getting one checked NO

Playing Tag, Red Light. Green Light 123, Mother May I, Double Dutch (yeah I can jump)

Sunflower Seeds, Now & Laters, Big Blo, Peanut Chews, Fruit-Tellas (the fake now & later)

Hi-Top Fades, Gumby's, and Jherri Curls

Mix Tapes

Salt-N-Pepa (Ahhhhh Push it) On 12" Vinyl

He-Man & She-Ra, Jem, Woody Wood pecker (my favorite cartoons)

My 6th grade prom (1989) When MC Lyte was the shiznit!

(Audience sings) "I am the LYTE AaaaaaaS a rock LY- LLYTE"!

Where am I going with this??? Well all of these things make up my past and some of my present and I have been thinking how everyone has a favorite Teacher who taught them something that they will never ever forget. I laughed so hard last night as I wrote this because as clearly as I can remember eating sunflower seeds and wishing that I could pull on my ear and be "Jem" (Showtime Synergy) I remember Mrs. Clark (second grade) who taught me how to write my name in script. I know it's silly but just think about how many times you have put your signature on something and just stop andremember who taught you how to do it. Of course I cannot forget Ms. Goode (fifth grade) who taught me that I was "Young, Gifted & Black" I love you Ms. Goode and I hope I'm still making you proud! So there you have it I'm showing love for the Public School System and Crazy Lov for P.S. 85.

This morning If you have a favorite teacher show them love right here by posting their name and school!

Ok time to get back to work I'll see you all at lunch....It's Chocolate Milk Day!

18 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Don't forget Thundercats (on DVD now...yaaaay!).

Now for the important stuff. I.S. 383 - Philippa Schuyler

Mrs. Collins was the assistant Principal who always roamed the halls. So skinny she was invisible, she always managed to appear when you weren't where you were supposed to be.

Ms. Dingle was my 6th grade homeroom and Math teacher. Coming from private school, I knew nothing of public school life. Ms. Dingle helped me navigate social groups, schoolwork, bullies, Halloween pranks, learning to 'Pop'so I wouldn't look stupid when we do that stupid human chain-circle-thing during our class party.

She personified our school motto and helped me to live up to it: To whom much is given, much is required.

Ahh...you took me back to School Daze...for sure.

7:43 AM  
Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Red...Your are a dumb ass!
THUNDERCATS...THUNDERCATS...THUNDERCATS...HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

"When your hands go up your mouth goes shut"

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about that one. Didn't know they said that in NY, too, lol.

And man, I used to watch Jem every morning. Jem is truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous." That was da bomb.

Thanks for the flashback.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Phukofku Gale said...

Oh SNAP!

Damn you took me back like Ring Pops and Bahamama Mama Slushies! Chalky-ass candy hearts with smeared stamps saying "B mine", Chicks wit sticker books and dude with HotWheels in their pockets. Pencil break at lunch. "Hide and go-Get" with your girl at recess. Go-Bots was wack cause everybody wanted to be an Autobot and roll out, unless they was dudes wit high pitched voices hollerin' "COBRAAAAA!" like Major Bludd. All I know was 5th grade, 3rd bell was kickball and I was Bam Bam Bigelow, My boy, Cole was JYD (THUMP!) and we could NOT be stopped. Out the yard! All Day!

But them red balls stung like a muhg in dodge ball!

Damn boo, you my new favorite shit today!

Nuff Luv!

-Chrome*

9:10 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

OMG!!! I loved me some MC Lyte!!!! lol omg!

9:42 AM  
Blogger MsPerdie said...

Mr. Eric - 5th grade teacher at Sembach Elementary school in germany. He was the best! I remember the letters, boy do I remember the letters.. Do you like me Yes, No Maybe... Will you go out with me? Yes, No Maybe... LMAO!!!!!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Oh wow between the post and the comments I feel old! LOL Where did the time go? Why do I feel like playing hide and go get it or 7 minutes of heaven?

Why was we pressed (remember that word) for that cafeteria pizza?

My favorite elementary school teach was Mr. Eberwein, Ridgecrest, 5th grade. He was the realist teacher I knew. One of my many favorite memories is him kicking this boys lunch box across the room because he wouldn't stop messing with it...and the time he taught us about colorblindness (he was) and that you should kick someone in the side of the knee to hurt them if they tried to attack us.

My favorite High School teach is a whole long blog in itself...I love you Mr. Eric M. Summers! Hey it's a small world, he might be reading!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Oh my my my...there's so much about K-8 I remember (esp since I ended up working for the same school three years later)....how about passing on the right? or the surprise fire drills in the middle of lunch hour? or salisbury steak patty day...y'all remember how they served lunch? they came in those brown packets with the plastic on top...and the chocolate milk...LOL

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, this is quick, I will write back later since I am at work right now with the boss here but rememeber

GARBAGE PAIL KIDS? or JawBreaker Candy, RED Hots, Lemon Sours, Punky Brewster... to name a few

qt

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some kids in school were not poor enough to get free lunch and had these things called lunch boxes. Oh, I wanted a lunch box so badly, but I was poor and not only could we not afford the lunch box, we could not afford the food to put in it. I always wanted one with the Thunder Cats. Oh, that was my shit. I almost purchased one just because I now have just enough money to buy one. LOL.

I’m also young enough to remember that Lunchables where the shit. The best ones had the wheat crackers with Turkey and Cheese. Okay, my school life was about more than just food.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jerrster said...

I loved chocolate milk day.
Now every day could be chocolate milk day...but back then it was fun. Plus chocolate milk every day isn't good for you. FUN POST.

1:57 PM  
Blogger GQ1NYC said...

Yo, thanks for stopping by.

You forgot, Beat boxing, Garbage pail kids, Playing at the fire hydrant, block parties, Bomb drills, fire drills, stick ball, break dancing on card board, being home before the street lights came on, Thunder cats, Voltron, and Lodi Dadi on the radio.

I could go on but those are some of my youth going to school in Bushwick (4th & 5th Grade)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Icylyrics said...

Oh lawd, the memories. Mr. Harris my choir director. Big dude about 400lbs, could sing like the dickens. I'm from the south so I dont know if yall had

'free lunch tickets'

I'd sell mine for each week for eyeliner, cigarettes and a chance to hang with the highschool kids across the field.

feeling
a tad bit old

cartoons: SPEEDRACER, FLINTSTONES, POWERRANGERS

Now I feel really old....

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little late I know....but I'm commenting just the same. YES, Chocolate Milk Day RULED. But by the time we got to High School, we could have Chocolate Milk EVERY day (and I DID).

Okay, okay, my all-time favorite teacher was my kindergarten teacher, Ms. Bondarant. She intstilled in me a desire to learn. It was a desire so great that it allowed me to survive junior high and highschool. Hats of to you, Ms. Bondarant, wherever you are!

And my favorite children's show: Transformers! Because, like gay people, they're More Than Meets The Eye!

5:11 AM  
Blogger T-Baby said...

OMG...This brought back so many great memories for me.

8:05 AM  
Blogger winterssoulstyce said...

my favorite teacher was not even a teacher, but she was still faculty. she was the head of the student government organization, mrs. ophals. she is now the principal of the school i went to, louis armstrong middle school/i.s. 227 is east elmhurst queens. power-wise she was LIKE THAT.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

icy sent he here
she said u had a lotta hott pics


she lied

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl you just brought back some serios memories

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home